January 28, 2011

Boring as it is, this post is STILL going to be about happy nehneh pok.
I dont think I've provided reasons why I gave her such a "lame" name.
It was because on the first day I got her,
which was on new year's day,
I've kept her in a temporary fish tank for a day before Jess gave me her pink cage
While watching her, she always shows me her nehneh hence the name happy nehneh pok
The pet shop she was from has a lot of baby hamsters proudly displayed in front of the shop.
There were different breeds housed together
These were the more "sellable" ones(aged 4 to 6 weeks)
guinea pigs and bunnies were also on display.
they charge you exorbitant prices ranging from 45 to 60 bucks for a hamster.
Just behind the big display, there's this entire block of transparent boxes about the size of 20inch by 30inch
In each of these boxes lives a hamster or two and sometimes three.
These hamsters were either new borns( probably 2 weeks old,too young to be separated from the mother) or too "old" thus not sellable atm/already.
sometime late dec last year, i saw this hamster in one of the boxes with only a water bottle and food bowl. No wheel or toys
the bottle was too high up for her,
she always fell on her back trying to get a drink and always has to stand on one leg trying to reach the ball bearing of the bottle
I also noticed that her eyes were closed most of the time and she walks with a limp.
Also, her back has this sharp jut that was impossible to miss.
It wasn't love at first sight at the pet shop. That hamster is so cute im going to buy her kinda scenario.
Was more of like feeling appalled
As days goes by, the thought of the hamster still lingers
After repeated visits to the pet shop, I finally decided to get her on new year's day.
I asked the pet shop assistant for the price of the hamster and it comes to a shocking 30 bucks just because it was a yellow blue pudding hamster
I blatantly lied to him that the previous day I was there, the other assistant quoted 15 bucks instead
He said it was possible to sell it for 15 because it is already very big(6 months) which I assumed also meant it is not sellable
enquired about her eyes and he said she was sleeping!
I wont say this assistant is cunning because his boss is in the shop as well and if he were to tell me nehneh is blind, I "might decided not to buy" and he was sure to get a scolding from scaring off a potential customer.
However, he tried his best to get me accessories within my budget.
So I got my happy nehneh pok at 15.
I've read many hamster forums since and it never fails to make me feel that I made the right decision getting nehneh pok.

Some of the posts on forums include

- Pouring boiling water on hamsters that nobody wants to buy
the story of how one of the rescued hamsters was adopted here

- A girl read about this "proven breeding pair" and the state of health of the hamsters was beyond imagination (the female hamster died from breeding)
here's the story

-A hamster that was abandoned one too many times and suffered extreme pain.
read about her life here.

Often, I would think what would have happened to happy nehneh pok if I didnt buy her.
An "old" and impaired hamster that many potential hamster owners would walked past without giving two hoots about her well being.
A little hamster's life could be changed.
Which was why I wont buy from pet shops apart from this incident.
If you are looking for hamsters, why not try sghamsters or hamsterhideout?
There are always talks on forums on abandoned hamsters found, baby hamsters waiting for adoption.
As much as I love to adopt more hamsters, people who know me should know that I'm extremely terrified of furry animals so it took a lot of me to decide to get nehneh.
I'm sure this saying applies to all pet owners hamster or not.
A pet is something in your life but to the pet, you are everything.
So if you can provide a better living condition, why not?
I know la, I sound like some self preaching bitch but whatever k.
What opinions u formed doesnt matter to me.
I hope one day u realise that putting people down serves no purpose and benefits no one.

No comments: